Re: rotated hairpins

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: rotated hairpins
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:27:42 -0700

On Sunday March 28 2004 13:58, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Btw, are you sure that mere rotation is enough?  I seem to remember
> that the non-horizontal wing should be lengthened too.

If you are talking about the opening having a vertical slope between the end
of the bottom and top lines, I haven't studied this but have generally
observed the resemblance of it, rather than the opening being perpendicular
to the hairpin direction. I don't know wether it is intended or not though
since it seems in most of those examples that one line or the other was
usually made longer, even on horizontal ones (nobody's perfect).

On Sunday March 28 2004 14:04, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>      Hairpins are not rotated if the vertical delta of start and end
>      point is smaller than the threshold.

I thought that the hairpins were angled to fit tighter spaces, such as between
two crowded staves, rather than to follow the change in pitch. I don't have
any old sources showing consistency with any ideas here.

If it isn't a normal LilyPond option, I'd like to at least see how to tweak it
to have the professional look; it's the LilyPond way and hopefully you guys
know the right from wrong again.

Thanks again,
Ed Sutton