Re: rotated hairpins

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: rotated hairpins
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:56:36 +0200 (CEST)

> >      Hairpins are not rotated if the vertical delta of start and
> >      end point is smaller than the threshold.
>
> I thought that the hairpins were angled to fit tighter spaces, such
> as between two crowded staves, rather than to follow the change in
> pitch.

Not necessarily.  Have a look at the attached image: I would like to
have the right hairpin rotated to start at a slightly higher position.
Currently, as can be seen, I have to move the left hairpin down to
adjust the open sides of the hairpins.

> I don't have any old sources showing consistency with any ideas
> here.  If it isn't a normal LilyPond option, I'd like to at least
> see how to tweak it to have the professional look; it's the LilyPond
> way and hopefully you guys know the right from wrong again.

I fully agree.  What I suggest is just a default value -- do you know
a better one?  In crowded situations no compute will ever produce the
right result, so you have to adjust it manually anyway.

    Werner

PNG image