Re: join LilyPond development!

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: join LilyPond development!
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:18:25 +0200

Pedro Kroger writes:

> sure, count on me.

Ok, great!

> It's obvious at that point I'm a Debian user :-), therefore being easier
> for me build weekly packages for debian.

Yes, of course, that's the idea.

There is one extra task for the build meister, that we haven't told
you about, but we would very much like you to do:

  * Maintain the definition/description of build meister.

This goes for all meisters.  You decided to help/join in development
by being build meister, but that set of tasks was made up by Han-Wen
and me, mostly.  We'd very much like you take (some) responsibility
for that too.

This means that you can think of a good answer to the rest of your
questions, (but I'll say what I think anyway):

> But, OTOH, do you fell I should/could build weekly packages for
> (an)other distribution(s)?

I think it would be great if all packages for all supporteed
distributions would always build.  That does not mean, of course, that
you must build them yourself.  It does not mean that you should fix
problems in the build scripts for other distributions.

However, I think it would be good if the build meister would:

  1. have his package/CVS in a good state
  2. be [one of] the first to find out something extra is needed for
     his platform (in your case Debian package), or that something
     breaks his package
  3. report the problem or fix it, and notify other packagers of this
     problem, and of your fix (for debian).

Does that sound reasonable?  What do you think?

> Maybe I can use user mode linux to install more one or two
> distributions in order build the packages.

I would not go that way, but rather seek more direct cooperation with
other builders, or find and recrute new builders.

(You could do uml if it is something you have the time for and would
 really like to play with, or for a distribution that you think is
 important, but cannot find a builder for.)

> Which distributions (beside Debian, of course) do you think I should
> build the weekly packages?

Just Debian is fine.  Rather than building other weekly packages, you
could try to monitor the state all packages are in, and try to ask
(does your package still build? do you need help?)
/encourage/pester/help packagers that have not updated their package.

Jan.