Re: join LilyPond development!

From: Pedro Kroger
Subject: Re: join LilyPond development!
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:28:13 -0300

* Jan Nieuwenhuizen (address@hidden) wrote:
>   * Maintain the definition/description of build meister.

ok, no problem.

>   1. have his package/CVS in a good state
>   2. be [one of] the first to find out something extra is needed for
>      his platform (in your case Debian package), or that something
>      breaks his package
>   3. report the problem or fix it, and notify other packagers of this
>      problem, and of your fix (for debian).
> Does that sound reasonable?  What do you think?

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. But taking from item 2, maybe I should
keep an eye on Debian Sarge (the next to-be-release version). I'm
always running an almost-up-to-date unstable, so if something is
broken it may not show up in my system.

> I would not go that way, but rather seek more direct cooperation with
> other builders, or find and recrute new builders.
> Just Debian is fine.  Rather than building other weekly packages, you
> could try to monitor the state all packages are in, and try to ask
> (does your package still build? do you need help?)
> /encourage/pester/help packagers that have not updated their package.

I think that this is the way to go. We have been fortunate enough to
have nice people packaging lilypond for different
distributions/platforms. Indeed, if we check the download page, there
are packages of 2.2 for almost all distribution/platforms. I was
referring, of course, to the weekly builds of development code, since
I was unsure [all] people would be able to do it [in a weekly
base]. But of course is way better to seek collaboration than trying
to do all by myself.

I'll start my job pestering^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hencouraging the Debian
maintainer to update to 2.2, specially because of the new info
files. Ferenc Wagner has come up with a nice solution, I also was
trying to deal with it, but I think that is better to have an
"official" solution for once.

Pedro