Re: join LilyPond development!

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: join LilyPond development!
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:17:09 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:24:07 +0200 Erik Sandberg
<address@hidden> wrote:

> The collection should be accessible by I am not sure how this
> collection
> should be made accessible to those who will fix them.
>
> I have roughly 4 different ideas:
> 1. I keep the collection locally on my computer & pester developers
> manually
> by email.
> 2. Same as (1), but now and then I upload the directory to somewhere at
>
> ftp.lilypond.org
> 3. The directory of (1) becomes a part of the CVS tree.
> 4. Use a huge bug managing system such as bugzilla, or wiki.
>
> I would guess that (2) or (3) would be most sensible. (3) has the
> anvantage
> that it's more automatised, open and clean ('make bugs'?), plus it
> would be
> easy for others than me to maintain bugreports. A disadvantage could be
> that
> cvs might not be good when frequently adding/removing files (i have
> memories
> that files can stay locally after being removed from cvs).
>
> Do you developers / webmasters have any opinions?
>
> Erik

There are several possibilities to put the report nicely in the picture:

1) First, you may edit files Documentation/user/* in CVS and add a warning, see:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.3/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Arpeggio.html#Arpeggio

2) Secondly, you may create a new ly-file to input/test/ in CVS and add verbose
comments to this ly-file. This directory used to be place for testing new
features, now the directory looks quite polished. However, there are still some
experimental stuff, see:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.3/input/test/out-www/collated-files.html#index-rotated%20text-103

3) Thirdly, you may trace the bug to a certain file in CVS and send a mail to
the creator of the file. For example, browse CVS repository in HTML in order to
find out who made last change to a file, see :

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/lilypond/lilypond/

And email then to the modifier, for example hanwen, and tell him the problem, in
this case that lily/input-file-results.cc has zero size -- it should have been
removed, but it was not.

4) Fourtly, sometimes it is worth of discussing about how a certain feature
could be improved in the developers list. There are talented people watching the
list who may know a good answer to a certain problem (I cannot even figure out
how many).

Ok, I'll file you a bug:

BUG:
Bugmeister lacks a CVS access.

Details:
Bugmeister has a collection of bugs. Most of them need to be put in the public
domain.

What happens:
There is a bug lurking out there, but the corresponding developers do not know
it.

What was expected:
Developers, who follow address@hidden and ChangeLog in CVS, should be
knocked via one of these media: personal email, developers mailing list, or
ChangeLog entry if a file is added to the repository.

Solution:
A Project Admin could welcome the Bugmeister to create modifications into the
CVS repository. Bugmeister creates then his/her first patch, asks whether it is
ok, and feels free then to do similar modifications later on.

=)

--
  Heikki Junes