Re: makefile changes for lilypond shared lib

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: makefile changes for lilypond shared lib
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:37:26 +0200

Nicolas Sceaux writes:

> What I have understood is that it's a matter of --disable-shared or
> --disable-static during configure.

Ok.  It's a small thing, but I we'll want to disable on of them by
default, I guess.  I'd like to make the packagers (who need to build
both the static -dev and shared lib* packages) think, but the casual
user should not be bothered too much?

> flower and lily should be using the same rules, which would generate a
> shared-library, adding -rpath and -revision (or -version-info?) flags
> at the end of the `libtool --mode=link' command.

I agree.

> There may be several directories:

Yes.

>  XXXX/   using the executable rules

'src', 'main' 'program'?

> I don't know well enough the C++ part to determine which should go
> where in that case. maybe:

Yes, I think your suggestion is fine and I like to just do it and see
what happens.

How about switching to TLA for this purpose, I've become a believer
while using it for guile-gnome.  That makes moving stuff around and
sharing patchsets workable.

I've setup an arhive over here

   tla register-archive address@hidden
http://lilypond.org/~janneke/{arch}/2004-lilypond

with lily-as-lib branch from current CVS lilypond_2_3_5b

   tla get address@hidden/lily-as-lib

Jan.