Re: makefile changes for lilypond shared lib

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: makefile changes for lilypond shared lib
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:54:25 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Sceaux writes:
>
>> What I have understood is that it's a matter of --disable-shared or
>> --disable-static during configure.
>
> Ok.  It's a small thing, but I we'll want to disable on of them by
> default, I guess.  I'd like to make the packagers (who need to build
> both the static -dev and shared lib* packages) think, but the casual
> user should not be bothered too much?

Maybe AC_DISABLE_STATIC or AC_DISABLE_SHARED in configure.in, then.

>> I don't know well enough the C++ part to determine which should go
>> where in that case. maybe:
>
> Yes, I think your suggestion is fine and I like to just do it and see
> what happens.

I have made some experimentations. Few issues remain with midi.so
(libtool *requires* that shared libraries begin with the lib suffix,
so I could not use the "c" and "library" stepmake templates for
building midi.so), but besides that, I have several .so libraries, and
lilypond-bin linked against them. If you wish to look at them, patch
and explanations are attached.

nicolas