Re: chicken-and-egg problem with \addquote

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: chicken-and-egg problem with \addquote
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:15:15 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> I stumbled across a chicken-and-egg problem with \addquote which must
> be resolved to make it usable in real-life situations.
>
> Assume that I have music for two voices, \A and \B.  \A has cue notes
> from \B, and \B has cue notes from \A:
>
>   A = { ... \quote "qB" 1 ... }
>   B = { ... \quote "qA" 1 ... }
>
>   \addquote "qA" \A
>   \addquote "qB" \B
>
> This doesn't work.  lilypond reports
>
>   warning: Can't find music: ...
>
> and omits the \quote.  I fear that lilypond has to do two passes on
> music which contains forward references to \quote to resolve this
> mutual dependency.  There should probably be a rule that quoted music
> must not contain quotes itself to assure that two passes are really
> sufficient.
>
>     Werner

Can't you first define the music of each voices in, say Aaux and Baux,
and then building A and B and the quotes refering to Aaux and Baux?

Aaux = { ... }
Baux = { ... }
A = << Aaux { ... \quote "qB" 1 ... } >>
B = << Baux { ... \quote "qA" 1 ... } >>
\addquote "qA" \Aaux
\addquote "qB" \Baux

(disclaimer: I don't know how \quote and \addquote works)

nicolas