chicken-and-egg problem with \addquote

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: chicken-and-egg problem with \addquote
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:12:43 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> I stumbled across a chicken-and-egg problem with \addquote which must
> be resolved to make it usable in real-life situations.
>
> Assume that I have music for two voices, \A and \B.  \A has cue notes
> from \B, and \B has cue notes from \A:
>
>   A = { ... \quote "qB" 1 ... }
>   B = { ... \quote "qA" 1 ... }
>
>   \addquote "qA" \A
>   \addquote "qB" \B
>
> This doesn't work.  lilypond reports
>
>   warning: Can't find music: ...
>
> and omits the \quote.  I fear that lilypond has to do two passes on
> music which contains forward references to \quote to resolve this
> mutual dependency.  There should probably be a rule that quoted music
> must not contain quotes itself to assure that two passes are really
> sufficient.

I don't understand. The cue notes are not in the real part, rather
they should be in separate voices (to set font sizes and stem
directions etc.)

  A = { .. << { ..A's stuff.. }
              \quote "qB" 1 >> .. }

  B = { .. << { ..B's stuff.. }
              \quote "qA" 1 >> .. }

The warnings can be ignored.

Or are you misusing the \quote mechanism to save some copying &
pasting while entering music?  If not, please send a faulty .ly
example.