Re: entering music without \time

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: entering music without \time
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:44:13 +0200

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 14.05, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
> Erik Sandberg <address@hidden> writes:
>
> hm.
> Here is a first trial.
> After the music has been parsed, there is no distinction between *2/3
> and *4/6, so
>
>     3                       6
>  ------- is ok whereas =========== is not.

Wow, that's great! thanks a lot!

After doing some quick tests, I can only find 2 wishes, and neither one of
them is very important:

1. The issue you addressed above. A way of solving the *4/6 problem, is that
the script could look at note durations. If all notes within one
tupletSpannerDuration are equally long, and the number of notes is divisible
by the tuplet fraction, then the tuplet fraction would be changed to the
number of notes.

i.e. if tupletSpannerDuration is set to 1/4, and you have
c16*2/3 c c c c c
then you have 6 equally long notes during the tuplet spanner. Hence you
probably mean 4/6 rather than 2/3. This should cover 90% of all cases when
\times 4/6 occurs.

Some examples:

\tuplify {
\set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)
c32*2/3 c c c c c c c c c c c
c16*2/3 c c c c c
c8*2/3 c c
c4*2/3 c8
c32*2/3 c c c c16*2/3 c32*2/3 c c c c c
}
would become:
{
\times 8/12 {c32 c c c c c c c c c c c}
\times 4/6 {c16 c c c c c}
\times 2/3 {c8 c c}
\times 2/3 {c4 c8}
\times 2/3 {c32 c c c c16 c32 c c c c c}
}

(If someone would want to use \times 2/3 {c16 c c c c c}, which is very
nonstandard, then he can use the explicit \times notation)

2. It would be nice if there was a good & quick way to exclude a note or group
of notes from the tuplification.

> Thus, I'm not sure that such a limited function is really useful.

It is already very useful for all music that has lots of \times 2/3 in it.
Given that most tuplets in the world are \times 2/3 and not \times 4/6, I
think this looks like a really good shorthand. And for pieces with both 2/3
and 4/6, you could always use *2/3 for triplets and stick to \times 4/6 for
those notes.

Erik