Re: Transposed Chord name "F flat"

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Transposed Chord name "F flat"
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:43:48 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden> writes
In the Western world, we usually hear equally tempered instruments. That
is not totally true, though: trumpets, for example, suffer an especially
strange situation: some notes are played just by altering the embouchure,
so the interval is constrained by physical laws and the frequency can only
be an integer number multiplied by the base frequency. For other notes,
the length of the vibrating air is changed, and this is used to adapt it
to a "more equal" temperament.

It's a bit more complicated than that ... :-) and I'd disagree that we "usually hear equally tempered instruments". Your "strange" situation for the trumpet is in fact the norm for any wind instrument (ie most instrument families...)

But yes, fundamentally, the fundamental note of a brass instrument has a wavelength twice the length of the instrument. For example, I play the trombone (approx 11ft long) so my fundamental is bf,, with a 22ft wavelength. All open notes nominally have an integral number of half-wavelengths within that 11 foot. Valves or the slide alter this length, thereby altering the note. But by just using the lips an experienced player can "bend" the pitch - I've heard of good players bending it by well over a full tone!

Given that pretty much any wind or string instrument can "bend" notes, I would guess that actually, any bending is used to bend *away* from "equal temperament" and *towards* intonation.

Actually, we *don't* hear a lot of this stuff that we should, because modern orchestras have an annoying habit of playing stuff on the "wrong" instrument. For example, at least one piece was scored by the composer - ?Chopin? - for two cornets and two trumpets. The intent was to *contrast* the two different sounds. So what do modern orchestras do? Play the piece with four trumpets! Or take my instrument - a trombone trio is *supposed* to be one Eb, one Bb(/F) and one G trombone. Yet such music is now invariably played on with three Bb trombones (at least one of which is a Bb/F). And the sound is completely different!

The best way to hear this is listen to some Haydn. He wrote a lot for D trumpets, and that is still usually played on the instrument it was written for. Compare it with the same piece played on a Bb.

(But I think this is drifting OT for devel - it should probably shift to user ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.