Re: did shaped note support ever get added?

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: did shaped note support ever get added?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:31:37 -0800

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 01:22:43PM -0500, Laura Conrad wrote:
"Jonathan" == Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> writes:

   Jonathan> The important thing with shape notes is that the shape
   Jonathan> be distinct.  The triangle, square, diamond, circle,
   Jonathan> hemisphere, and the other two.

So what are the other two?  And what does the hemisphere mean? I only
know anything about Sacred Harp.

Do - equilateral triangle
Re - half of a circle, straight edge facing up
Mi - diamond
Fa - right angle triangle
So - full circle or oval
La - square
Ti - quarter of a circle, pointy end facing down

You can see a picture here:

   http://fasola.org/introduction/note_shapes.html

I am only interested in the Aiken and Sacred Harp shaped notes.

I could scan some pages from my Aiken shape note hymnal (printed in
1999) if that would help, but as I said before, it isn't beautiful.

Jonathan

--
Patriarchy, Polygamy, Slavery ::: Fatherhood, Husbandry, Mastery

Puritan: Purity of faith, Purity of doctrine. Sola Scriptura!
Eukleia: Jonathan Walther
Address: 12706 99 Ave, Surrey, BC V3V2P8 (Canada)
Contact: 604-582-9308 (between 7am and 11pm, PST)
Website: http://reactor-core.org/