Re: did shaped note support ever get added?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: did shaped note support ever get added?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:05:40 -0500

    Jonathan> We North Americans do preserve some items of history
    Jonathan> that Europe has shed.  Do not discriminate against us on
    Jonathan> that account.

I don't know of any shape note tradition in Europe, and I've shown
Sacred Harp to some Europeans with a *lot* of education in the
history of music notation who had never seen any such thing.  So I
think it would be more accurate to say that North Americans are
preserving their own history, and not imply that Europeans are not.

That being said, I'm one of the people who would use shape note
support if it got added, and I'm willing to help, or even to start
something if other people would be willing to help.  I've never used
metafont, but I do own The Book.  So I gather the first thing is to
produce the shapes in Metafont?

And a typographical question: am I the only person who is bothered by
both whatever font the Sacred Harp uses and the Finale font, because
the triangle seems so much lighter weight than the other symbols?  Or
is this a feature used by people who actually sing from the shapes?
(I sing shape notes only occasionally, and I'm just reading the notes
the way I'd read any other notes, not using the shapes to tell me
what the intervals are.)

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139