Re: FretDiagrams Architecture

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: FretDiagrams Architecture
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:22:47 -0700

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 05:15, Giancarlo Niccolai wrote:

> Uhm, since you are working on the chords: is there any possibility to have
> chord names also in other languages? I.e. Am in italian is LAm, Bsus4 is
> SIsus4 (only the note name changes, the chord system is the same all over the
> world); As there is an include to change note name, it may be sensible to
> provide internationalized chord names. I haven't looked at the code yet, but
> it seems that engraved chord names are just a font rendering operation, and
> so having them internationalized should be trivial.

Actually, I'm not working in ChordNames.  Rather, I'm working on fret
diagrams.  I'm not much of an expert on chord names, so I'm probably not
qualified to carry this out further.  Also, fret diagrams are more than
enough for my plate right now, with the limited time I have available
for hacking.

There is an internationalization system available for LilyPond, but I
don't know anything of the details.  I would expect that it could be
tweaked to internationalize chord names.

> (Sorry, if I bomb you with mail and questions, but is important to me to get
> grasp on the internal features of an engine to start working at it. I always
> do lots of questions and document peeking before starting putting my hands on
> a problem).

It's fine with me to have you sending questions.  I spent a lot of time
trying to get a grasp on the internal features of LilyPond, and
basically got nowhere.  Once I got down to trying to _do_ something,
then I found that my questions were much more relevant, and I was able
to start to understand what's going on.

Any help I can provide, I'm happy to.  But I'm really a novice LilyPond
programmer, not an expert.

Carl