Re: convert-ly doesn't convert figured bass

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: convert-ly doesn't convert figured bass
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:21:28 +0100

I actually don't remember version 1.6 well enough to understand how
your example ever has worked. Did really the FiguredBass context
typeset also ordinary music at that time?

Nowadays, the idea is to have a separate FiguredBass context which
only contains the figures.

One solution is something like:
\score{ <<
  \new Staff \relative c{
  \time 3/4
  \clef bass
   a2    <<a4 \context FiguredBass=fig \figuremode {<6>}>> |
   <<gis4\context FiguredBass=fig \figuremode{<7>}>>
      <<s2\context FiguredBass=fig \figuremode{<6>}>> |
   << e4. \context FiguredBass=fig \figuremode{<3+ 7>} >> gis8 a4
}
  \context FiguredBass=fig {}

}

Note that you need to declare the FiguredBass context from the beginning
of the score to keep it alive, otherwise you get a new context for each
new figure which is typeset some millimeters below the previous one.

Another possibility would be to use text markup commands instead,
see for example http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-10/msg00352.html

  /Mats

Laura Conrad wrote:
"Mats" == Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:

    Mats> Take a look at the example called figured-bass.ly in the Regression
    Mats> Test document. The Regression Test and the Tips and Tricks documents
    Mats> are the places to look for examples, even though more and more of the
    Mats> examples have been integrated into the actual manual in version 2.4.

Thanks.  I was only looking on the test level; I see now that I have
to go down to the regression level.

"Juergen" == Juergen Reuter <address@hidden> writes:

    Juergen> Is the example in the user manual, section 5.16.13, sufficient?

No.

Neither of these examples are anything like what I had in 1.6, where I
duplicated the bass line and added \figure markups to the notes that
had figures on them.  Han-Wen implies that I can do something like
that if I can guess the right number of angle brackets to use.

Note that both examples have almost all notes the same length, and no
notes without figures.  This is not very much like the actual music
anyone writes figured bass on.  A real-world example, such as I'm
hoping I might get out of convert-ly if I can ever decipher Han-Wen's
workaround would be more useful.
An explanation of what changed between 1.6 and 2.0 and why might also
be some use.

I was really hoping this sonata would be an easy project, since I'd
already been through the learning curve.  Adding a new learning curve
every 6 months isn't the best route to world domination.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology