Re: Lilypond Server

From: Szabó Árpád Zoltán
Subject: Re: Lilypond Server
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:57:28 +0100

Ciao Giancarlo,

The php solution you are speaking about is the very same idea I was speaking
about. It can be used to process not just short snippets (transmitted as
form-data), but whole bunch of ly files (maybe even zipped), and this is
where the HTTP upload method comes in the picture.

It's main advantage against the email based service is the fast response
(depending on server's bandwidth and computing power - this latter one is
one of the point where socket connections can be very useful: to outsourcing
the tasks) , which is crucial: imagine the situation when you try to process
a file with syntax errors. You wait while the response email arrives, and it
contains lots of error messages. this can cause disappointment.

Of course, the email method can be fast as well. So it can be a feasible
solution, or it can be provided alternatively.

Only the fact that it is based on email, won't solve the security issue
related by the usage of Scheme.

--
Árpád
(who doesn't count himself in the lilypond developers - at least yet)