Re: Followup on solved bug reports.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Followup on solved bug reports.
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:38:29 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
On Tuesday 15 March 2005 13.39, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Han-Wen,

Another of all these quick bug fixes! Thanks for your hard work!

It would be great if you (and others who fix bugs in CVS) could also
send a reply to the original bug report that the problem has been fixed.
I seem to recall that you sent the same request to me and others some
years ago and that you also followed it yourself. I'm not sure if it's
time limitations or that you expect Erik to handle the official

It's because of me, I guess. The idea is that I verify the bugfixes independently of Han-Wen before announcing them. This can sometimes cause delays.

This information is useful both for the user who wrote the bug report,
for people who search for information on the mailing list archives and
just see a large number of unanswered bug reports and for me and others
who try to provide relevant answers on the lists and documentation
updates, for example.

I think the difference also is, that we now use the database rather than the mailing list when looking at bugs.
Yes, but it seems that Han-Wen and Jan fix lots of problems long before
you have had the time to even include them in the database.

> During the previous big bugfix round, I
reported the fixes as new message threads instead of replying, just for my own convenience. If you like, I can stop this behaviour and reply to the reports instead.

That would be a clear benefit for people who search for a problem in the
mailing list archives. It would help much more if the thread ends with
an email saying that the problem was solved in a particular version than
if this information appears in a completely separate mail thread.

   /Mats