Re: package dependencies [was 'make all' failure]

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: package dependencies [was 'make all' failure]
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:09:50 +0200

David Bobroff writes:

> This puzzles me.  I did not specify *any* options when I
> did ./autogen.sh.  I looked through ~/lilypond/configure and saw that --
> enable-gui is set to 'no' by default.

>> > WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  libgtk+-2.0-

I see.  configure suggest to optionally install gtk, even if you do
not have --enable-gui.  Fixed.

>> Are there any packages needed that are not available for your
>> distribution?
>
> Not sure, see below about XFree86.

Good.  I had the impression you already experienced installation
problems to get where you are now.

>> It should really not have to be more than a apt-get, yum,
>> what-have-you command or two.
>
> I would find this most welcome.

Maybe you can help.  It looks to me as if you may not be using the
right tool, a low-end package installer that does not resolve
dependencies, such as rpm or dpkg; whereas you should probably be
using any of apt-get, apt-rpm, yum, synaptic, tasksel, dselect?

>> Thanks, that should read [lib]pango-dev[el]
>
> Ok.
>
> But, when I try to install the pango-devel RPM it starts screaming for
> XFree86-devel and XFree86 does not even seem to be a part of Fedora Core
> 3.  XFree86-devel will demand XFree86 which may demand something else...

That does not look ok.  You need the package that fits with your
installation, so maybe it should be pango1.0-devel then.  Please see
if you can use a higher-level package installation tool to fix these
problems.

Jan.