Re: Colours - patch to get all X11 colors

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Colours - patch to get all X11 colors
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:26:24 +0200

Op do, 21-04-2005 te 09:52 +0100, schreef Bernard Hurley:
> Hi,
>
> No one got back to me on this but I am submitting a patch anyway:
>
> Changelog entry:
> 2005-04-21  Bernard Hurley  <address@hidden>
>
>       * scm/output-lib.scm: added full set of X11 color names.
>       Where X11 colors have optional multiword names, e.g. "dark
>       orange" and "DarkOrange" only the single word names are available.
>       The names already defined in Lily 2.5.20 have been retained and refer
>       to the same color except "grey" which now refers to the lighter
>       X11 shade of grey.

Hi,

I like the idea, but I oppose of the patch, since it pollutes the global
name space. I'd rather have something like

  #(x11-color DarkSlateBlue)
  #(x11-color 'DarkSlateBlue)
  #(x11-color "DarkSlateBlue")

(I guess the 1st is easiest to use),  which looks the name up in a
private color database.

Also, the code should take the data from an alist (and possibly store it
in a hash-table.), eg.

 (define (x11-color arg)
     ..
      '((blue 0 0 1)