Before 2.6 comes out...

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Before 2.6 comes out...
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 12:27:39 +0200 (CEST)

... I would like to ask if the e-Mail addresses in the ChangeLog could be either encrypted or replaced by e.g. http addresses.

From carefully analyzing some of the countless spam mails and delivery
failure notification mails, it looks like as if the ChangeLog file is one of the major sources for the spam robots. Maybe, for the moment it would suffice to just protect (i.e. cryptify or remove) the addresses on the online version of the ChangeLog file at http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/Documentation/out-www/ChangeLog.html (and analogously for older versions of lily), but on the long term, I would like to see the e-Mail address banned from the ChangeLog file, since mirror sites may at any time publish a copy of the ChangeLog file from the source tar-ball, and spam robots may start scanning source tar-balls sooner or later (note that e.g. google already indexes g'zipped ps files). What do you think?

Greetings,
Juergen