Re: Before 2.6 comes out...

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Before 2.6 comes out...
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:28:43 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Removing the ChangeLog might be a good idea anyway, since it is not of much use for users. However, I oppose to scrambling email addresses everywhere. It doesn't solve the problem of spam and worm-mail (your address is broadcast via the mailinglist to virus-infested platforms anyway), and it makes our job as maintainers harder. If you have a lot of spam, you should consider using automated filters (eg. spamassassin or thunderbird junkmail controls.)

Please keep copies of earlier versions of the ChangeLog and NEWS files
in the source tar ball. At least the NEWS files between 1.4 and 2.4
are missing in Documentation/misc/ for the moment.

This is a little problematic. As of 2.5, the NEWS file also has snippets of music, which are compiled with one release. It might not be possible to keep the NEWS entry for 2.6 factually correct while also keeping it compilable with 2.8.

I don't really mind if the files are only available in the form of .tely
files. At least I would still find them useful from time to time, For
example when answering questions on the mailing list from users who have
an old installation or who have troubles when updating old input files,
the NEWS files provides excellent reminders of what features appeared
when. Actually, in a way I prefer if the syntax of the examples in the
.tely file isn't updated, since then I can also use them to remember
what the syntax looked like at that time.

As long as you keep the old documentation web pages available on-line,
the information is certainly available there, but I would prefer to be
able to also use grep in the source code directory tree when searching
for information.

   /Mats