Re: Before 2.6 comes out...

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Before 2.6 comes out...
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:49:17 +0200

Juergen Reuter wrote:
... I would like to ask if the e-Mail addresses in the ChangeLog could be either encrypted or replaced by e.g. http addresses.

From carefully analyzing some of the countless spam mails and delivery

failure notification mails, it looks like as if the ChangeLog file is one of the major sources for the spam robots. Maybe, for the moment it would suffice to just protect (i.e. cryptify or remove) the addresses on the online version of the ChangeLog file at http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/Documentation/out-www/ChangeLog.html
(and analogously for older versions of lily), but on the long term, I

Removing the ChangeLog might be a good idea anyway, since it is not of much use for users. However, I oppose to scrambling email addresses everywhere. It doesn't solve the problem of spam and worm-mail (your address is broadcast via the mailinglist to virus-infested platforms anyway), and it makes our job as maintainers harder. If you have a lot of spam, you should consider using automated filters (eg. spamassassin or thunderbird junkmail controls.)