Re: Sponsoring lilypond development Was Re: Score parts: instrument and

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Sponsoring lilypond development Was Re: Score parts: instrument and duration
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:56:00 +0200

Erik Sandberg wrote:
This makes it hard for us to steal the SCORE experts right now. I think it's too difficult to do this kind of tweaks in lilypond right now, and the tweaks will break after each new version. (however, I don't know enough about

That's not true. However, I don't guarantee that they won't break - which is something different. If you need to be sure of keeping your tweaks, you have to keep around the version of lily that you used to make the piece.

As you say, it could be useful to start a constructive dialogue with the SCORE folks, to (a) see what it would require (in terms of improved program design) to make them join us.
(b) get inspiration from their engraving expertise.

I think it should be the other way around. We need some samples that work flawlessly in Lily, but require a huge amount of effort in SCORE. That will persuade them to try Lily. Then, they can sponsor me for adding what's still missing :-)

Of course, I might have a different perspective from you :-)

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com