Re: Resource list, revised and extended again

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Resource list, revised and extended again
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:13:55 +0200

John Mandereau wrote:
I don't clearly follow what is being proposed, but it seems off track.  The
need is for a single source of links for information useful to Lilyponders,
not cluttered with a morass of sources for composers or musicians.  Even
though denied on the posting, LilyPond resources imply some measure of
recommendation/endorsement by the developers.

What should be in?  Postings of .ly files.  Manuals/guides for elements of
LilyPond: Scheme, PS, etc.  Editors especially supportive of LilyPond.
Testimonials.  Dictionaries and engraving guides used by the developers.

What should be out?  Music and music information unrelated to LilyPond.

What should be debated?  Engraving info not used by LilyPond.  Sources for
public domain scores that could benefit from LilyPond engraving.

I just briefly explored dmoz.  Never before knew it existed.  Impressive,
but it doesn't seem a good substitute for a selected set of links from
within lilypond.org.  For resources supporting Lily, I want a single place.
For some broad categories such as music dictionaries, dmoz might provide a
good source, but music dictionaries don't seem to be there.  A search for
lilypond editors also finds nothing.  Redirection through dmoz seems
unnecessary.

Volunteers are willing to provide content for a page at
http://lilypond.org/web/resources.  Why not?

Well, I think I've found a compromise. On one hand, I agree with you
that a single resources page exclusively for Lilyponders is much more
convenient. On the other hand, I suppose Han-Wen was afraid (and he has
certainly reasons for that :-)) that it was a mess in the site building
scripts after I'd have added my scripts, just for one more little
resources page.

No, the problem is that lilypond.org precisely currently reflects the beliefs of the development team. Or, -Less euphemistically- Jan and me.

If we add a jumble of links, the team has to look into those to assess whether it can carry the LilyPond (tm) Seal of Approval, and personally, I don't feel like doing that. I would much rather prefer it be hosted on a different URL (lilypond-links.org ?) - I think that dmoz or something of the kind is suited ideally for that, but we could even arrange for it to run on the same server under a different domain name.