OS X linker errors

From: Don Blaheta
Subject: OS X linker errors
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 00:31:04 -0600

I solved my previous problem by editing <cmath>, and everything compiled
fine; then the linker is called and I get a raft of errors.  It looks
like there are conflicts between iconv and two different versions of
intl, and I dont know which package it's expecting to find
"_FT_Load_Sfnt_Table" in, but it's not finding it:

  [... jillions of .o files ...] ./out/volta-bracket.o ./out/volta-engraver.o
./out/volta-repeat-iterator.o ./out/lexer.o ./out/parser.o
./out/../../flower/out/library.a  -ldl   -L/sw/lib -lguile -lguile-ltdl -lm
-L/sw/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lpangoft2-1.0 -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lpango-1.0
-lm -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv
/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/libfontconfig.a -L/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib
-L/sw/lib/freetype219/lib -lfreetype -lz
  ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _environ
  /usr/lib/crt1.o definition of _environ in section (__DATA,__data)
  /sw/lib/libguile.dylib(posix.o) definition of _environ
  ld: warning suggest use of -bind_at_load, as lazy binding may result in
errors or different symbols being used
  symbol _locale_charset used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(localcharset.lo)
  symbol __nl_init_domain_conv used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(loadmsgcat.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(loadmsgcat.lo)
  symbol __nl_load_domain used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(loadmsgcat.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(loadmsgcat.lo)
  symbol __nl_free_domain_conv used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(loadmsgcat.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(loadmsgcat.lo)
  symbol __nl_msg_cat_cntr used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(loadmsgcat.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(loadmsgcat.lo)
  symbol __nl_find_msg used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(dcigettext.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(dcigettext.lo)
  symbol __nl_find_domain used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(finddomain.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(finddomain.lo)
  symbol __nl_expand_alias used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(localealias.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(localealias.lo)
  symbol __nl_explode_name used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(explodename.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(explodename.lo)
  symbol __nl_find_language used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(explodename.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(explodename.lo)
  symbol __nl_make_l10nflist used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(l10nflist.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(l10nflist.lo)
  symbol __nl_normalize_codeset used from dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib(l10nflist.o) not from earlier dynamic library
/sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib(l10nflist.lo)
  ld: Undefined symbols:
  _FT_Load_Sfnt_Table
  make[1]: *** [out/lilypond] Error 1
  make: *** [all] Error 2

This is using gcc-3.3 on OS X 10.3.9 to compile the current CVS version.
I just checked that all my libraries are up to the required minima on
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/topdocs/INSTALL.html (and in
fact I just updated texinfo to 4.8), and they are.

--
-=-Don address@hidden<http://www.blahedo.org/>-=-
"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think