Re: doc problems with \paper and \layout keywords

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: doc problems with \paper and \layout keywords
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:32:28 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
ragged-last: horizontal spacing, like ragged-right.
ragged-last-bottom: vertical spacing.

Han-Wen?

yes, this is correct.

Not really.  AFAIK, \layout has two functions, namely to set up
local layout parameters and to set up contexts (with \context).
While doing the former you can use all (or almost all?) keywords
from \paper.

Hmm.  I'd like to get some info from people who know more about
lilypond here -- I'm not very clear about \paper vs. \layout, which
is one reason why I avoided doing anything to this chapter for so
long.

Me too...

I'm also not sure. There are some ways to unify things, but some of them also limit what is possible. For example, we could move all spacing related dimensions to \paper (eg line-width) and have \layout for \context settings only, but then it's no longer possible to tune line-width per \score.

I'm not sure what the right solution is.

Ideas?

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com