Re: doc problems with \paper and \layout keywords

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: doc problems with \paper and \layout keywords
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 02:25:59 +0100 (CET)

> >>ragged-last: horizontal spacing, like ragged-right.
> >>ragged-last-bottom: vertical spacing.
>
> yes, this is correct.

OK.  Maybe the documentation can be improved...

> >>I'm not very clear about \paper vs. \layout, which is one reason
> >>why I avoided doing anything to this chapter for so long.
> >

> I'm also not sure.  There are some ways to unify things, but some of
> them also limit what is possible.  For example, we could move all
> spacing related dimensions to \paper (eg line-width) and have
> \layout for \context settings only, but then it's no longer possible
> to tune line-width per \score.

It's *very* useful to have `global' values and `local' ones which
override within a block.  What about using \paper both globally and
locally, similar to TeX?

  \paper {
    <global values>
  }

  \score {
    \paper {
      <local values for current \score>
    }
  }

Then \layout could be reserved to context handling, again both on the
global and local level.

    Werner