Re: doc problems with \paper and \layout keywords

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: doc problems with \paper and \layout keywords
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:37:24 -0800

On 15-Mar-06, at 5:25 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

ragged-last: horizontal spacing, like ragged-right.
ragged-last-bottom: vertical spacing.

yes, this is correct.

OK.  Maybe the documentation can be improved...

I've added the terms "vertical" and "horizontal", but other than that I don't really know what to change. Please have a look when the next version comes out and tell me how it can be improved.

I'm also not sure.  There are some ways to unify things, but some of
them also limit what is possible.  For example, we could move all
spacing related dimensions to \paper (eg line-width) and have
\layout for \context settings only, but then it's no longer possible
to tune line-width per \score.

It's *very* useful to have `global' values and `local' ones which
override within a block.  What about using \paper both globally and
locally, similar to TeX?

IMO it would avoid potential confusion, both in understanding and in typos / reading other people's code, if we used different names. Which I guess is how we got into \paper and \layout in the first place... ... but about being strict about \paper being a global, top-level block, and \layout being a score-specific block? Throw out any \layout in the toplevel or \paper inside a \score?

Then \layout could be reserved to context handling, again both on the
global and local level.

... although perhaps renamed to \context -- in fact, remove the \layout entirely:
(toplevel)
\context {
  \Staff {
    \override blah