Vocal music and beaming

From: Marco Gusy
Subject: Vocal music and beaming
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:55:58 +0100

Hi, I would like to hear what you think about lilypond and beaming in vocal
music.
I'm quite sure it's common in traditional engraving to beam together only
notes of a melisma. The rule is: two syllabes never are beamed together. I
attach a picture as an example. This is Bach Magnificat, the "Ma -- -- -- --
" is beamed, but the "gni -- fi -- cat" isn't.
When I code choral music with lilypond i fell like doing the same work twice
(manual beam, and enter lyrics), maybe lilypond should beam following the
text.

Can you check some Bärenreiter score?

Thanks

Marco