Re: Vocal music and beaming

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Vocal music and beaming
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:09:14 +0100

Marco Gusy wrote:

I just want to obtain the correct beaming behaviour in vocal music (like in the sample image i sent) without getting mad beaming and "melismaing" by hand.
The rule should simply be "Break beam on every new syllable".
Since lilypond implemented the auto-melisma using dashes in lyrics context, i think this little auto-unbeaming rule will improve much output fidelity to traditional engraving.

-Traditional scores *always* separate each syllable in beaming
-two syllables *never* are beamed together.
-beaming is used only on the same syllable

Yeah, i said the same thing in 3 different ways.... Now it's clear, i hope ;-)
My point is that if you want LilyPond to break a beam whenever there is a new syllable, then it has to know how long each syllable is. If you use \lyricsto, then LilyPond figures out the duration of each syllable based on information in a music voice. In that process, it looks at beams and slurs to figure out if there are any melismas. If you want the beaming to be determined based on the syllables, then LilyPond needs some other method to figure out the duration of each syllable.
How do you want that to work?

 /Mats