Re: al niente / de niente - was Re: (no subject)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: al niente / de niente - was Re: (no subject)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:28:32 +0200

Erlend Aasland wrote:

I made a quick hack for this just for fun (I'm sure Han-Wen would implement it more properly, especially the font); see the attached patch and test case.

(I suspect that the circles are a bit misplaced, but as I said this is just a quick hack).

Actually, it doesn't look bad. Do you want to work on this further so I can include the patch?

For the n glyph,

- the thickness of both stems should be better in balance. the left one should be heavier, or the right one lighter.

- the hole should be a bit wider.

To properly balance it, you need to print it (on paper, not on screen) out next to other glyphs from the font (but not f and p, since they are extra heavy).

For the circle: use a circle output routine (see easy-notation.cc)

- the property should have a graphical name. eg. something like 'circled-tip

- this can be folded into one statement.

  if ((grow_dir > 0) && !broken[LEFT])
+       mol.add_at_edge (X_AXIS, LEFT, Stencil (circle), 0, 0);
+      if ((grow_dir < 0) && !broken[RIGHT])
+       mol.add_at_edge (X_AXIS, RIGHT, Stencil (circle), 0, 0);

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com