Re: al niente / de niente - was Re: (no subject)

From: Erlend Aasland
Subject: Re: al niente / de niente - was Re: (no subject)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:12:25 +0200

Hi Marcus

On 3/16/06, Marcus Macauley <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:29:43 -0800, Trevor Bača"" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm interested in this kind of 'al niente' / 'de niente' thing, too,
> but haven't had a chance to figure out the right settings yet.

This sounds interesting, do you have an image of a real world example? (I was unable to find one by googling). I wasn't aware of "al niente" until now, but I could certainly make use of it in some of my arrangements.

At least one music font/notation program, I forget which, includes for this
purpose a letter "n" in the same style as mrsfp for dynamics. So perhaps the
ideal way to implement this latter kind of niente notation (the hairpin circle
tip being the other kind) would be to create a new dynamic mark, called "n", and
syntax analogous to the other dynamics, thus:

c2~\> c~ c r\n

I made a quick hack for this just for fun (I'm sure Han-Wen would implement it more properly, especially the font); see the attached patch and test case.

(I suspect that the circles are a bit misplaced, but as I said this is just a quick hack).

Regards,
  Erlend Aasland