Re: implementation plan for music streams

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: implementation plan for music streams
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:42:46 +0200

Erik Sandberg wrote:
Hi,

Here's my plan on how to front-port music streams to the 2.9 branch.

1. Implement classes Dispatcher, Stream_event, Listener (move modules from my thesis fork) 2. Add dispatchers event_source_, and possibly events_below_, to Context class.
3. Make Context::try_music send stream events to the event_source_.
4. Refactor certain iterators (apply-context, time-scaled-music), so that all music events are sent to bottom contexts.
5. Refactor commands such as lyricsto, to eliminate busy-playing-event etc.
6. There should now be no dependency on the try_music return value, so it should be safe to make Translator_group::try_music an event handler. 7. Add stream events for CreateContext, ChangeContext, Prepare, OneTimeStep, SetProperty, etc. These are quite easy to implement.
8. Various cleanups; e.g., remove the unneeded Score_context class.

Comments?

I'd start with 4. because they're independent from the rest, and we can readily test the rest of those.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com