Re: Documentation - first impressions of the latest manual

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Documentation - first impressions of the latest manual
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:34:46 -0700

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:08:21 +0100
"Anthony Youngman" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2.13 Printing Lyrics
>
> Your hyphen example leads me to believe the text under the notes
> should read "Twin-kle twin-kle". There are no hyphens but it looks to
> me as if the whole point of the example is "how to put hyphens in".

Yes, there should be hyphens.  How about you fix it?  As I've said on
many occasions, I don't do lyrics.  You've got the source lilypond
code; tell me what to change it to.

> 4.1 Suggestions for writing Lilypond files
>
> A new one that I've found you don't want to forget - "explicitly
> specify the length of the first note every time you use '{'. Don't
> rely on the default".

Done, thanks.

> 6.4.4 Partial measures
>
> imho this is still very misleading at first glance. It should be
> something like
>
> "The syntax for this command is
>       \partial duration
> where duration is the length of the leading notes

\partial isn't necessarily used at the beginning of a piece, though.
I've phrased it as
"
where @code{duration} is the rhythmic length to be added before
the next bar.
"

> Part of the trouble is the last sentence - "The property
> measurePosition contains a rational number indicating how much of the
> measure has passed at this point."

I'm tempted to delete that part, since most users don't (and
shouldn't!) care about what the internal representation is, but I
dislike simply deleting information.

> 6.4.6 Unmetered music
>
> In the "bugs" section you seem slightly confused, mentioning first
> page breaks, then line breaks. Which one is it?

Both, actually.  I've modified the text accordingly.