Re: Documentation - 8.2.4 Bar numbers

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Documentation - 8.2.4 Bar numbers
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:00:17 -0700

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 21:42:52 +0100
"Anthony W. Youngman" <address@hidden> wrote:

> <rant mode=on>

Consider my own rant mode also on.

> As a professional programmer, I see it as my job to make life easy
> for my users.

As an amateur documentation editor, I don't see it as a job at all.
This is a volunteer activity.  Each time somebody sends me a problem
report about the docs, I consider them to be asking me to spend ten or
twenty minutes working on something for free.

Next time you see a problem, please double-check that it is a real
problem with the current docs.  Don't just send a message and then say
"As I noticed after I'd posted - oops".  That wastes my time.  If I
were getting paid by the hour I wouldn't care, but I'm not getting paid.

> Ask yourself - *as* *a* *musician* - is that any use to you, or would
> you be better off if it was done a bit differently?

As a musician, I like having bar numbers at the beginning of each line,
and rehearsal letters at important places.

> Please make bar-number-every-five-reset.ly a showcased example,
> and if it means relegating the current showcased example to a "see
> also", then so be it.

I'm not opposed to adding more examples, but
bar-number-every-fix-reset.ly looks really ugly, both in terms of the
output and the input file.  If you can make a nicer example, I could
include it.