Re: changing the midi instrument; broken

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: changing the midi instrument; broken
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 09:31:14 +0200

On Sunday 27 August 2006 07:26, Graham Percival wrote:
> Ted Walther wrote:
> > The documentation of lyrics has got me befuddled on the notion of
> > contexts, as I haven't seen anywhere it clearly says what I can do in
> > lyricsmode that I can't do in lyricsto, although the documentation does
> > state that there is a difference.  Perhaps the complete read-through of
> > the manual will clear it up.
>
> If you figure it out, let me know.  I don't use vocal music, so I've
> barely touched that section.  I'm happy for corrections, though.

In short: \lyricmode is just a marker that says "the following input
characters should be interpreted as lyrics, rather than notes". \lyricsto is
a function, which aligns lyrics to notes.

So in \lyricsto you need a voice to align lyrics to, while in \lyricmode you
need to specify the duration of each syllable manually.

So: You always want to use lyricsto, but if you want to store a line of lyrics
in a variable, use lyricmode and then use lyricsto to align that variable to
music.

--
Erik