Re: input/tolsr/

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: input/tolsr/
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 01:56:09 -0700

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
ln: `./expressive': hard link not allowed for directory
ln: `./parts': hard link not allowed for directory
ln: `./text': hard link not allowed for directory
I don't know why this claims to be a hard link; any clues?

> 1. each directory should have a GNUmakefile. No exceptions allowed

Sorry, I've added them.
2. Jan and I agreed that the lilypond source repository / tarball in
any state should be regarded as a finished product, and that it should
not contain work in progress, or files specific to a developer. IMO, this includes the input/tolsr/ directory. If you need to sync
with another developer, my suggestion is to use email or the bug
tracker.
Perhaps the directory should be renamed. The main purpose is to contain snippets that cannot be added to LSR due to LSR's version number. Granted, we could reduce the number of such snippets if we updated LSR... but unless LSR tracks the latest unstable version (which would be a bad idea anyway), we will have some snippets that we wish to include in the documentation that cannot be part of LSR.

I'll briefly summarize the problem(s):
1. input/regression/ is a mess from a documentation perspective. Users should never look in there; this should only be for developers and bug testers.

2.  input/test/  is also a mess, although somewhat less so.

3. Users shouldn't be told "there's a nice way to do that; look in the tricks and tips, or regression tests, or the mailist archives".

Solution:
1. use LSR to store snippets. Users will be told "look in LSR", or possibly "look in the example snippets, `staff notation' section".

2. A portion of LSR will be included in our documentation; see the "snippets" section for an example. This is created from a tarball and the buildscripts/makelsr.py script.

3. Snippets which cannot be added to LSR (ie use new features in the current development version) will be added to our "snippets" section (via the same makelsr.py script). These snippets will be stored in input/SOMENAME. If "tolsr" implies unfinished-ness, then I'm happy to change it to anything else.