Re: input/tolsr/

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: input/tolsr/
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 20:41:46 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

Solution:
1. use LSR to store snippets. Users will be told "look in LSR", or possibly "look in the example snippets, `staff notation' section".

Excellent! I just hope that everybody who contributes with a new
feature takes the time not only to make a regression test but
also an illustrative example (and of course, some text for the
main manual). So far, the best documentation of several new
features has been the regression test example, so I hope you
realize that you put an increased burden on everybody who
wants to do some LilyPond hacking (unless you or somebody
else plan to regularly review all new regression tests).

2. A portion of LSR will be included in our documentation; see the "snippets" section for an example. This is created from a tarball and the buildscripts/makelsr.py script.

I don't really understand the strategy here (I think I have
complained earlier too). You want people to look in the LSR
so therefore you will include a selected subset of the examples
also on the LilyPond documentation page!? As long as we all
agree that this is a temporary solution, waiting either for LSR
to support multiple LilyPond versions and always stay up to date
with the latest LilyPond releases or conversely for LSR to be fully
integrated with the LilyPond releases, then it's fine. However,
I don't think such a partial duplication should be used in the
long term.

  /Mats