Re: GPD: official shortest note in lilypond

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: GPD: official shortest note in lilypond
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:06:31 +0100 (CET)

> > As a composer by myself, it's a mystery to me why so many
> > composers love to use 128th and 256th, most time for no good
> > reason.
>
> Let's ask ourselves about that well-known piano hack, Ludwig van
> Beethoven. [... removing the rest of a furiously answer...]

Dearest!  Your ridiculous answer completely misses the point!  First
of all, you have obviously not seen my `most time for no good reason'
part in my reply.  Second, I do support the wish for adding 256th
(however, I've never seen flagged 256th or 128th notes).  Third, those
works don't use such small notes *all the time* but at appropriate
moments -- Sciarrino *does* use it all the time.  Do you know this
piece I was talking about?  Have you ever performed it and are you
aware of the difficulties to read it just for the `blackness' of the
piece?  If you answer is yes, we can continue to discuss the issue,
off-list.

> CASE ONE: [...]

I'm a professional piano player by myself, and I've played most of the
pieces you are mentioning.

I won't reply to this thread again.

    Werner