Re: GPD: official shortest note in lilypond

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: GPD: official shortest note in lilypond
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:43:14 +0000

Valentin Villenave wrote:
> My two cents here:

Thanks Valentin for this considered reply.

> One thing is very interesting though: when it comes to finding 256th
> notes, you always refer to *solo* pieces (piano sonatas, violon
> pieces, etc.). Why is that? It is because when writing orchestral
> music, composers always tend to make things more "basic" for
> musicians, so that everybody can play together whithout being
> disturbed by complex notations.

Good point, although I think that solo references have come up also
because they're easier to find. When (if?) I have time I'm sure I could
come up with several ensemble examples...

> I'm very respectful with Mark's Ferneyhough example, but I can't say
> this is the kind of music I want to write, especially in ensemble
> music. As a soloist instrumentist, I'd be thrilled to play it, but I
> know it would take me weeks to understand and learn the rhythmic
> structure. I just can't afford to require musicians who would play
> *my* music to take such time and efforts.

This is exactly my point: you, the *composer*, have taken a decision not
to utilise 128th notes for the reasons you explain. This is a decision
that should not be take by the software you choose.

I don't know how many flags Finale and Sibelius support, but Lilypond
should at least equal those programs' capabilities.

(And I'm not arguing that this should be a high priority RFE - I
appreciate the amount of work involved - just a goal.)

--
Mark Knoop