Re: GPD: official shortest note in lilypond

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: GPD: official shortest note in lilypond
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 01:08:32 -0200

2007/11/8, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > This still does not answer the real question: which is what is the
> > shortest UNBEAMED note that you see.  Lilypond supports 2048th notes
> > if need be, but only if they are beamed.
>
> Do you want to have different official shortest notes?  ie "up to 2048
> beamed, only 64 unbeamed" ?  My initial thought was that we should have
> the same limit for beamed/unbeamed/rests, but at your option we could
> state different limits.

I think it would be better to phrase it as:

There is no fundamental limit to note durations (both in terms of
longest and shortest), but the number of glyphs is limited: there are
flags up 64th and rests up to 128th. At the other extreme, there are
note heads up to longa (4x whole note) and rests up to maxima (8 x
whole?).  Since beams can be extended arbitrarily, beamed notes can be
arbitrarily short.