stop breaking the docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: stop breaking the docs
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:33:22 -0800

Folks,

Please bloody test with GUB, especially if you're working on the
makefiles and the like.  I cannot build the docs now. Yes, I did
another rm -rf *; git reset --hard.

I am using GUB 2.11.41 and following the instructions in
AU 1.2.4 "building the docs without compiling lilypond".  If
I'm supposed to do something else to get this
automatic-lilypond-version thing working, add that to
the docs.
(I'm guessing that this is the problem, since I could build the docs
before this was added)

I have a bunch of GDP helpers submissions which I cannot
commit because I can't test them.  Since I cannot commit them,
I can't build them on the server, and those helpers can't
see the output, and they can't fix any further errors.

The doc build dies with this:

Overfull \hbox (12.1685pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 113--113
 \smallrm Internals Reference91[]
./lilypond-learning.cps:136: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [grouping
levels=255] .
<recently read> {

\ ->{\spaceskip = 0pt{
                      } }
\tclose ...on \rawbackslash \plainfrenchspacing #1
                                                  }\null
\codex #1->\tclose {#1}
                       \endgroup
l.136 \entry {\code
                    {\xeatspaces {melisma}}}{30}
./lilypond-learning.cps:136:  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF
file is not finished!
Transcript written on lilypond-learning.log.
/Users/gperciva/usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdfetex exited with bad status,
quitting. make[1]: *** [out-www/lilypond-learning.pdf] Error 1
make: *** [web] Error 2

FWIW, on the GDP server (on pure linux, not using GUB) the build fails
with this:
 File "../../buildscripts/lys-to-tely.py", line 87
    if os path.exists (b):
             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
make[3]: *** [out-www/collated-files.tely] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/lilypond/lilypond/input/regression'
make[2]: *** [WWW] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lilypond/lilypond/input'
make[1]: *** [WWW] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lilypond/lilypond'
make: *** [web] Error 2

I'm not positive that this was rebuilding from a clean checkout,
though, since "make clean" fails in the middle due to
make[1]: *** No rule to make target
`/home/lilypond/lilypond/buildscripts/./out/gen-emmentaler-scripts',
needed by `out/emmentaler-26.dep'.  Stop.

I'm doing another "rm -rf *; git reset --hard" on the GDP server, since
I can't reliably do "make clean" or "distclean" any more.