Re: removing \markup "foo" from the NR

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: removing \markup "foo" from the NR
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 23:14:21 -0700

On Sun, 4 May 2008 18:07:00 +0100
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> A quoted string is needed in \markup if you wish to print one of the
> following characters in your score:
>
> % \ { } #

Huh.  I didn't realize that.

> Hardly useful.  If this were the sum total of the need then I would
> be with Graham.

No; given this, we absolutely must include "".  True, those
symbols rarely appear in old lyrics... but I can imagine somebody
writing "100%" or "#3".  Especially in contemporary academic
music.

More to the point, we clearly shoudln't say "you can't add these
characters" (with {}) if you /can/ add them using the double-quote
method.

Valentin, I don't care if you like certain dangerous shorthands.
But I *do* care about explaining how to create notation with
lilypond.  Remember that I know less about lilypond than you do.
If you can find a use for something that I suggest we should
remove, that wins the argument instantly.  :)