Re: When is "-" required in articulations?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: When is "-" required in articulations?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:03:24 +0200

2008/5/22 Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:

>> @item string markups, e.g. -"string"
>
> "string markups" isn't really an established term (unless you have coined it
> recently in the
> documentation updates). I guess that in LilyPond terminology it would be a
> "text script specified
> as a string" or something similar. I'm not what makes most sense to an
> average reader of the manual,
> though.

As a matter of fact, this is precisely one question Graham and I
argued about without finding a decent solution. The current sentence
is :

http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Text-markup-introduction.html

"Markup expressions may also be enclosed in double quotes "...". Such
expressions are treated as text strings and may not contain nested
expressions or commands. Therefore, braces are generally prefered to
double quotes."

Actually, it would be nice if we had a specific name for such objects.
Graham told me to find something but neither he or I could come up
with a smart solution.

Cheers,
Valentin