Re: Quoted text (was Re: When is "-" required in articulations?)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Quoted text (was Re: When is "-" required in articulations?)
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 00:44:12 -0700

On Fri, 23 May 2008 09:40:21 +0200
"Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/5/23 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>
> >> or even textual annotation which
> >> can be applied to a note with either '-' or '\markup?
> >
> > In current GDP terminology, these are "Text scripts".
>
> Which is not necessarily sensible, since TextScript is already a grob.

Yes, it's the grob that is created when you write
  c4-"foo" or c4-\markup{foo}

That's the whole *point* of calling them "text scripts".  Unless I
really /am/ going senile in my old age...

> > Fundamentally, all text is produced via \markup.  However, there
> > is a shortcut for defining simple pieces of text: you can write
> > "foo bar".  Internally, this expands to
> > \markup{ \line { foo bar }}.
>
> Then perhaps we could name "foo bar" a "quoted text line"? (I like
> "line" much better than "string", and it conveys the same idea).

If we're going with "quoted text", why add a line?  What do this
mean:
 c4-"foo bar" c4-"baz bob"

Neither of those is a "line".