Re: Searching for string that contain a "-" doesn't work in the LSR...

From: Sebastiano Vigna
Subject: Re: Searching for string that contain a "-" doesn't work in the LSR...
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 23:17:07 +0200

On May 23, 2008, at 11:08 PM, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

There are several lilypond commands that contain a hyphen, but the LSR
currently does not allow searching for them. Apparently, "-" is not allowed
in the search string:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Search?q=on-the-fly

Would it be hard to allow also hyphens in the search?

Well, actually you just have to escape it with a backslash. Like 'on\- the\-fly'. The problem is that at that point you won't find anything because the index breaks words on hyphens, so the index contains "on", "the", and "fly".

I think breaking on hyphens is good because people often does not remember exactly complete commands. To search for on-the-fly you could search for 'on the fly'. This could be made into a feature by writing a custom parser that breaks words with hyphens into a phrasal query (so you write 'on-the-fly' but your real query is '"on the fly"'). Maybe not exactly now, but I think I can do it if it seems a useful feature...

Ciao,

                                seba