RE: predefined commands for figured bass

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: predefined commands for figured bass
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 15:23:09 -0600

Neutral is not a possiblity for figured bass, and it's not the current default.
 IMO, changing the default to Neutral for consistency would be the wrong thing
to do.  If we need to have consistency with other Up/Down commands, then I
think we should change the name of these commands, perhaps to something like

bassFiguresAboveStaff
bassFiguresBelowStaff

> > bassFigureStackingUp = {
> >   \override Staff.BassFigureAlignment #'stacking-dir = #1
> >   \override BassFigureAlignment #'stacking-dir = #1 }
> >
> > bassFigureStackingDown = {
> >   \revert Staff.BassFigureAlignment #'stacking-dir
> >   \revert BassFigureAlignment #'stacking-dir }
>
> Same as above.

As above, Neutral is neither a viable option for the output nor the default.
If we need consistency, maybe a name set like

firstFigureOnBottom
firstFigureOnTop

> > bassFigureAlterationsRight = {
> >   \set figuredBassAlterationDirection = #RIGHT
> >   \set Staff.figuredBassAlterationDirection = #RIGHT }
> >
> > bassFigureAlterationsLeft = {
> >   \set figuredBassAlterationDirection = #LEFT
> >   \set Staff.figuredBassAlterationDirection = #LEFT }
> >
> > bassFigurePlusRight = {
> >   \set figuredBassPlusDirection = #RIGHT
> >   \set Staff.figuredBassPlusDirection = #RIGHT }
> >
> > bassFigurePlusLeft = {
> >   \set figuredBassPlusDirection = #LEFT
> >   \set Staff.figuredBassPlusDirection = #LEFT }
>
> Are these really so important to the notation that we need
> predefined commands for them?  How often do people want to
> change the default Alterations/Plus placement?  These might
> be better just shown with snippets.
>
> * note that I know little about figured bass.

I don't know how often these changes are desired.  Snippets might be just fine.
 Anybody with expertise?

Carl