Predefined command maintainer

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Predefined command maintainer
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 18:11:20 -0700

On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:23:09 -0600
"Carl D. Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Are these really so important to the notation that we need
> > predefined commands for them?  How often do people want to
> > change the default Alterations/Plus placement?  These might
> > be better just shown with snippets.
>
> I don't know how often these changes are desired.  Snippets might be
> just fine.  Anybody with expertise?

As sad as it is, I think I have the most expertise with predefined
commands.  I'd like to change this, though.

I think lilypond usage could be improved by expanding the
predefined commands -- maybe double or triple the current number.
This could even take over the "style sheet" discussions that pop
up every six months with no resolution.  (although everybody seems
to have differing ideas about what "style sheets" means)

I'd like to get a volunteer for Predefined Commands Maintainer.  I
estimate it'll take 5 hours to set up the initial system, another
5 hours to deal with issues arising from -user when we advertize
it, followed by about 30 minutes each month to maintain it.

This person needs moderate lilypond knowledge (ie "understands LM
5 Tweaks"), enough English to understand emails on lilypond-user,
and git access (this could be granted for this task, though).  I
can think of half a dozen people who qualify; it just depends on
their interest and availability.

Oh, I almost forgot: availability.  Since this *is* a support
position for GDP, you need to respond within a week.  Ideally
within two days.  So if you're planning on going canoing around
Australia during the month of July, please don't volunteer.

Here's what you do:
- assuming that the "relative include mode" feature gets
  implemented, split ly/property-init.ly  into sensible other
files.  Maybe stuff like
ly/pitches-init.ly
ly/rhythms-init.ly
ly/other-init.ly

except don't call it "other".  We'll need to figure out what
makes sense.  Modify ly/declarations-init.ly accordingly.

- In these files, add whatever predefined commands make sense.
We'll need to figure out what makes sense.  Currently the criteria
is a vague "whatever commands are necessary to produce standard
musical notation", where "necessary" and "standard" are extremely
vaugely-defined.

- Modify the NR @predefined sections to match what you've done in
  ly/whatever-you-called-them.ly files.

The trade-offs are these:
- we can't add a macro for everything because lilypond too
  tweakable.  Curse Han-Wen and Jan for making such great
  software.
- somebody (ie *you*) needs to fix the
  ly/whatever-you-called-them.ly files whenever the syntax
changes.  The more commands you create, the more updating you need
to do.
- if you disappear for two months while you hike across the Sahara
  desert on foot, we'll be stuck maintaining whatever mess you
leave behind.  And by "we" I mean "other people", since I'll be
gone as well.  Don't leave a mess.  And the fewer commands we
have, the easier it'll be to maintain.