Re: index.html.in

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: index.html.in
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:30:49 +0200

2008/8/11 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Somebody should redo the index.html.in page.  (the main doc page)

I just did it because I added translation status page, and BTW I could
no longer stand typing lilypond-learning.pdf URL by hand ;-)
But consider this as a quick'n'dirty update, I agree this page might
need to be revised.

> - do we list pdfs on this page itself, or on a separate page?  (my
>  opinion is for a separate page; we want to encourage users to
> download all pdfs, so that they get the nice cross-references)

As you mentioned in techincal todo, it would be even better to make a
tarball with PDFs; as this must be done in GUB, I'm not sure we'll do
this before 2.12.

I'm not very enthusiast at listing PDFs on a separate page; why do you
propose this?  Encouraging users to download PDFs is not a good
reason, a tarball containing only PDFs is definitely better for this
purpose.  You could argue the page is overloaded with PDF links, but
if we can suppose all users at least have a 1024x768 screen resolution
I think it's OK.

Cheers,
John