RFC: improving the shar installer (was: 2.11.56 problems)

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: RFC: improving the shar installer (was: 2.11.56 problems)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:51:42 +0200

2008/8/20 Bryan Stanbridge <address@hidden>:

> I haven't written any install scripts, but is it possible to have a check,
> much like some OS X programs, where it asks "Do you want this program
> available to all users, or just your user?" and then if they select
> all-users to install as root instead of just install locally? (That is
> switch to the sudo style of installation.)

Greetings everybody,

I'd like to ask for comments about this suggestion from Bryan, to
which I can add a few other suggestions myself.

1 - is it possible (and wise) to have an installer script that is run
as standard user, that offers to install as root and *only then* asks
for a password?

2 - is it possible (and wise) to make the sh installer just a bit more
user-friendly like in the attached mockup? I mean, is it possible
without requiring additional ncurses dependencies or whatever?

3 - is it possible to localize the installer like we did with (almost)
everything else in the program?

4 - Han-Wen once suggested that we regroup all support scripts (emacs,
vim, bash completion, whatever) inside a common directory, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2008-06/msg00187.html
though I haven't had the time to investigate this yet, maybe this
could be a chance to start working on it...

Cheers,
Valentin